I know a lot of people think of fall as soup season, but I am actually one of those weirdos that enjoy soup all year round. Even in the summer. Soup is just so soothing, and this spicy tomato coconut soup just hits the spot.
Tomato and coconut is such a great combination as it is, and then when you add in the harissa paste and cilantro stalks, it’s just perfection. I love this soup to be really spicy, and actually add even more harissa than the recipe calls for some days, but you can adjust the heat by adding less if you prefer.
The only rule for having my spicy tomato and coconut soup is that you must drizzle it with the mint yogurt sauce. There is this perfect harmony between the mint and the harissa that just make all the flavours sing. This drizzle is a little trick I picked up from Jamie Oliver, and have been using on my tomato soup for years now.
If you really want to make this soup a little more special, add some tortilla chips, a bit of feta cheese, some fresh chopped cilantro, and even jalepenos to the top. Make it an experience.
Spicy Tomato Coconut Soup – Notes:
- You cannot leave out the cilantro stalks in this soup. It is so important to use the entire stalk. Just cut the roots from the end, and wash it well.
- If you skip the harissa paste, add some paprika. The seasoning on this soup is very limited, so it will be a bit bland without the spice.
- If you are going to freeze the soup, cook all the ingredients except for the coconut milk together, blend, and then freeze. I like to add the coconut milk later when heating up the soup, otherwise the texture changes.
Spicy Tomato Coconut Soup
This hearty tomato soup is perfect for fall and winter, and has a unique flavour profile.
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 can of coconut milk
1/2 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped with stalks
2 inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
1 tbsp harissa paste (you can use less if you like)
Juice of half a lime
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp black pepper
For mint drizzle:
1/4 cup of yogurt
6-8 leaves of fresh mint
- Empty chopped tomatoes into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add harissa paste.
- Add coconut milk, cilantro, and ginger, mix well, and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to create a smooth soup consistency.
- Return to stove, add lime juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Blend yogurt and mint leaves to create mint drizzle.
- Remove soup from stove. Serve topped with tortillas, chopped cilantro, jalepenos, and mint yogurt drizzle.