Would you believe that I didn’t even own a microwave until about two years ago, and now I make everything from chicken pulao to mug pizza in it? I know what you are thinking – microwave mug pizza, that sounds kind of ridiculous, but stick with me and you won’t regret it.
Microwave mug pizzas come together in like 5 minutes, of which only 1-2 minutes are in the microwave. They are super fun for the kids to make themselves, and they taste really good. The texture of the dough or ‘crust’ of this pizzas is a little flakier and thicker than a thing crust, but delicious nonetheless. You can load them however you want. I like mine with corn, red bell peppers, and olives, but for the kids cheese and pepperoni might do.
*Quick note – as I was researching microwave recipes for a recent campaign, I saw many versions of this recipe online with minimal variation. I was not able to trace it back to the original creator, if you know who it was please let me know! My take has a couple of new notes, but is inspired by other microwave mug cakes!
Notes on making microwave mug pizza:
- Make sure your mug is microwave safe!
- Test your pizza at different times. At home my microwave takes only 70 seconds to cook the pizza, at the office I need 90 seconds. I would start with 60 seconds, test by lifting the dough a little, and then go up in 10 second increments.
- Let the pizza sit for 60 seconds or so before giving it to littles. The steam will finish cooking the dough, and it will give it time to cool enough for eating.
- These microwave mug pizzas get super hot, be careful with the mug and when biting into them!
Microwave mug cakes make a quick easy and super kid friendly snack, or even lunch with a salad on the side!
4 tbs all purpose flour
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
3 tbs milk
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs pizza sauce (marinara or tomato will work too)
1-2 tbs shredded cheese
toppings of your choice
1. Whisk the flour, Italian seasoning, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in your mug of choice. Break up any lumps.
2. Add in the milk and olive oil, and whisk until almost entirely smooth. Small lumps are okay.
3. Spoon the pizza sauce over the dough batter gently, spread it around to the edges.
4. Sprinkle over your cheese and preferred toppings.
5. Microwave for 60 seconds, remove from microwave let rest for 10 seconds. Lift the dough and check for doneness. If needed return to microwave in intervals of 10 seconds.
6. Let rest 30-60 seconds before eating.