Sweet or a little tart depending on your berry crop, strawberry rotis (strawberry flatbread) are a favourite with kids!
1/2 cup of strawberry puree
1 cup durum flour (or your preferred roti flour)
Extra flour for dusting
Butter for topping rotis (optional)
- Add the flour into a wide bowl or atta parat. Slowly add in strawberry puree, and start bringing the dough together. Continue adding puree and combining flour until a dough ball is formed. Knead for 2-3 minutes, grease the dough with a touch of oil, and cover with a wet paper towel.
- Divide the dough into 6-8 portions depending on how big/thick you prefer your rotis. I make really tiny rotis and usually get 8 out of a cup of flour.
- Roll the portions into tight balls – or a peda. Lightly flatten the balls by pushing in the centre, creating a disk shape.
- Now pinch the edges of the disk with two fingers to expand the disk. (see the attached video)
- Roll out into a circular roti shape.
- Cook on a tava or in a fry pan heated to medium high. Cook for 9o seconds on the first side, then flip and cook for another 60-90 seconds on the second side. Puff over flame or wire rack.
- Remove the puffed roti onto a plate and coat with butter.