This makhani mac and cheese is so simple to make, and if you’ve pre-made my makhani sauce recipe and have some in the fridge or freezer, you can get the whole thing ready in under 15 minutes. Waiting for the pasta water to boil in the hardest part!
1 1/4 cups of makhani sauce
2 cups of dry elbow macaroni
1/2 tbs olive oil
2 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup shredded Gouda cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
chopped cilantro for garnish
- Start by boiling your pasta to al dente. Check the directions on the pasta you are using, but generally this is about 4-5 minutes for macaroni. Once your pasta is cooked; take out one cup of water and keep it aside, drain the pasta, and then toss with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While your pasta is cooking, prepare the roux. Start by melting the butter on medium to high heat. Add the flour and whisk continuously. Cook for 2-3 minutes until you smell a nutty toasty aroma. Don’t stop stirring or the flour will burn!
- Slowly add in the milk, continuing to whisk to prevent lumps from forming.
- Now add the makhani sauce and nutmeg. Reduce heat to low.
- Slowly add in 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir together.
- Add your boiled macaroni to the sauce and mix. At this point if you feel that the sauce is too thick and not mixing well with the pasta, thin it out with a little of the pasta water your reserved.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the reserved cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!