A classic Punjabi dish, bhindi sabzi (okra) is made in a tempering of onions and tomato
5 cups of chopped bhindi – approx 30-35 bhindi (see notes on cleaning & chopping!)
3 tbs mustard oil for frying bhindi (you may substitute with any high heat oil)
1 tbs ghee
1.5 tbs cumin seeds – jeera
1 cup chopped onion
1.5 cups of finely chopped tomatoes (I prefer to use Roma tomatoes)
4 cloves garlic chopped finely
2 inch piece of ginger chopped finely
1 green chili sliced finely (optional)
1 tbs coriander powder – dhaniya
1/2 tsp turmeric powder – haldi
1/2 tsp red chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp dried mango powder – amchur (optional)
1 tsp garam masala powder
- Start by cleaning and chopping the bhindi.
- Fry the chopped bhindi in mustard oil, or the oil of your choice on medium to high heat, stirring frequently for 8-10 minutes. Remove the fried bhindi from the pan and spread them out on a plate or tray.
- Prepare the tadka. Add the ghee into a heavy bottomed pan and heat on medium high. Add cumin seeds and tet them sputter for a minute (while stirring), then add the onions. Cook the onions down for 2-3 minutes, and then add the green chillies, garlic, and ginger. (If you would like more tips on preparing a tadka, check out this post)
- Now add the tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and red chili powder and cook for 2 minutes. At this point you can add the salt and continue to cook the tadka down for an additional 4-6 minutes. The tadka is ready when the tomato mixture starts to pull away from the pan, and release oil.
- Once the tadka is done, add the fried bhindi into the pan and cook together for 2 minutes. (Do not cover with a lid!)
- Finish with garam masala, amchur (if using), and cilantro
- Serve with hot, fresh rotis
Never wash bhindi directly in water. Use a wet towel to wipe it down, chop it into whatever size pieces you like, and then let it sit for 15-20 minutes before cooking so it dries out on the inside.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup